Tuesday, February 05, 2013

pass it on

I pull up to our favorite local coffee shop for a mocha on the run. They have a drive thru (best feature ever for moms with sleeping tots) and when I got my mocha the barista passed this through the window. She said someone dropped off a stack of them and only asked that they be handed out and please tell people to pay it forward.


We tucked that $5 away and pondered what we could do to pay it forward. After some thinking about that sweet boy lost too soon, I came up with two things my little boy loves more than anything... books and surprise treats.  So I talked it over with Zach and we split that $5 bill in to five singles. He drew some pictures and I wrote a simple note of explanation.

Then we headed to the library. At this point, Zach got cold feet. He was convinced hiding surprises in the books might be against the law despite my assurances. So he sat and read and pointed me towards some of his favorite books, and I went to work tucking five surprises into five books in the children's section. Knowing how excited Z gets at finding a nickel, a dollar is a windfall to a kid. But even if you don't have a few bucks to spare, you and your little ones can simply write kind notes and tuck them into the pages of books, spreading a little sunshine.

(Peter And The Starcatchers is a favorite series...)


Then we went home imagining the happy faces of little ones opening a book to read and getting $1 to keep all for themselves. I hope in that dollar they see that there is more good in this world than bad, more kindness than greed, more love than hate. Pass it on.


5 comments:

Liz said...

So kind, so wonderful, so inspiring, so awesome!!!

NYCKate132 said...

How awesome. What a wonderful example for all us. I am happy to join you in this!

jk said...

So unbelievably unexpected and WONDERFUL! It has been a long time since I visited your site. Love it. May end up trying a variation of your fabric hearts with the kids for their Valentines this week...

Dim Sum, Bagels, and Crawfish said...

This is one of the best things I have seen in a very long time! I love everything about it...the pay it forward idea, the thoughtfulness, the hidden messages in books, and yes, Peter series is fabulous. All so very good.

Amanda said...

So fun! A great way of a kindness becoming many kindnesses. A great way to turn the tide.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...